Want to make sure you’ll have a good morning? Start your day with Moringa! There are plenty of Moringa trees around eXtreme and tons on the Taino Organic Farm for you to experience. From the leaves to the seeds, this superfood is great for you and all over the resort ready for you to pluck off the tree and relish in its unique flavour. A local company, Kikaboni, even produces delicious Moringa Pita Chips. You can find them in any supermarket in Cabarete. Back home you can get organic Moringa powder at any wholefood shop.
Else, simply add the fresh Moringa leaves to salads, pasta or rice dishes, blend in your smoothies or sprinkle on any dish. If you want to dry out the leaves you can make a delicious healthy tea.
A fresh Moringa pod will snap when you break it in half, if it’s hard to break, it’s too old to eat, they taste better young. Feel free to boil, steam or fry them, eat on their own or add to a stir-fry or a quiche and enjoy!
Moringa Oleifera is extremely nutritious, a potent anti-inflammatory, is full of antioxidants and proteins and has amazing tissue protecting properties. Originating in India, Pakistan and Nepal it has a long history of medical use in disease prevention. Aiding to deter and to treat diabetes, heart disease, anaemia, arthritis, liver diseases and digestive issues, it has been gaining popularity in Western culture.
So, why is Moringa so beneficial for you?
- Moringa contains 28% of protein which is a far higher value than any other plant protein. As it contains a high amount of branched chained amino acids (BCAA) Moringa has a high value to the human body and lets it easily compete with high-value animal protein. It’s an ideal protein supplement for vegetarians, vegans and people who regularly work out.
- It contains a significant number of vitamins A, C and E, calcium and potassium. Vitamins E and C combat oxidation that leads to neurone degeneration, improving brain function and stabilising serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline, all linked to memory, mood, organ function, how you deal with stress and pleasure and your mental state.
- It has flavonoids, polyphenols and ascorbic acid (antioxidants in layman’s terms) which are free-radical-fighters! Free-radicals are molecules that cause cell damage and inflammation, which means eating this plant will help combat and suppress chronic diseases caused by inflammation.
- It’s leaves and flowers are chalk full of polyphenols which protect the liver ~ to help combat all that vacation drinking you’ll be doing! It’s been proven to help restore enzymes and reduce damage and fibrosis.
- It fights infection! Anti-fungal and antibacterial properties in the Moringa can kill certain fungi infections on skin and bacteria that causes blood and urinary tract infections.